Share on Facebook


Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hearing or Listening to the Lord

I need to ask myself this question, "Am I hearing the Lord or am I listening to the Lord?" Dr. William Hendriksen says, "To hear means to perceive sounds that do not necessarily require or create action. To listen is to pay thoughtful attention to sounds that enter the ear and then evoke positive results." In Hebrews 2:1-4 we are gong to determine if we are hearing or listening to the Lord's word.

Verse one begins with the word "therefore" which points our attention back to everything that is taught in chapter one which is the preeminence of Jesus Christ over all creation. The next phrase is "we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard." This is a very strong statement which should cause us to examine our degree of obedience to the Lord's word. Am I hearing or listening?

Verse two reveal the role of Angels in delivering the message of God to His people. The second part of this verse reminds us that "every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution." The Lord did not give His word to us for us to take it lightly or to ignore it. Am I hearing or listening?

Verses three and four asks each one of us a very penetrating question. "How shall we escape if we neglect such a salvation?" If I am hearing the Lord's word then I will not give much attention to the message. However, If I am listening to the Lord's word, then I will not neglect this salvation nor will I neglect the instruction I receive from the Lord's word by His Holy Spirit.

No comments: